South Orange County Pool and Spa FAQs!
Why does my pool have algae?
- It may be time to clean the filter
- You may have yard fertilizer in your pool (contact South OC Pool service to remove the fertilizer).
- Your chemicals may be off.
Make sure your Alkalinity is between 80 and 120, Chlorine near a test level of 3 via Taylor Test kit, Calcium hardness between 175 and 900 (too low of calcium creates corrosive water and too high of calcium creates staining and scaling).
TDS (total dissolved solids) between 175 and 1500. Cyunaric acid (stabilizer) needs to be between 50 and 90.
Salinity (salt level for salt pools only) All Pentair salt systems need to have a salinity level near 3500.
Why do my eyes sting and my skin smells like chlorine even after getting out of the pool?
You may have too much chlorine in the pool. It may sound weird but if your eyes and skin are irritated by chlorine you may want to try taking a milk bath. It will neutralize the chlorine. Yes cows milk.
Why is my electric bill so high?
- You need an energy efficient pump.
- In the mean time try running your pool off peak hours. This means leave the pool off between the hours of 9:00 am to 5:00pm. Try running the pool from 5:00am to 9:00am off all day and back on from 6:00pm to 10:00pm
- You may want to consider having Photo Voltaic solar panels installed on your roof.
Why does my pool / spa water heater not work?
- Your filter may need cleaning.
- It may be time for the heater to be serviced by a professional (they all need occasional minor repairs).
Why is my pool water cloudy?
Your PH and or Alkalinity may be too high. You can lower the PH and Alkalinity by adding acid.
Why does my automatic pool cleaner not work like it used too?
It may need new shoes or wheels. They all need an occasional internal rebuild.
Why is there an oily residue on the surface of the water?
This is usually sun screen / san tan oil, also referred to as bather load. You may want to add potassium monopersulfate to dissolve these oils.
Why is my pump noisy?
All pumps need an occasional rebuild.